Wednesday: Pork Explosion
Ingredients: 1 Pork tenderloin, 6-8 oz ground pork, 4-6 slices thick cut nitrate free bacon, 1 tsp ground sage, 1 tbsp fennel seeds, sea salt & ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400º.
- Take the pork tenderloin and make a slice about half way through down the center of the tenderloin and spread it out on a cutting board or work surface.
- Cover the tenderloin in plastic wrap and pound out the tenderloin away from the center in both directions until it’s about ½ in. thick and uniform.
- Salt and pepper to taste both sides of the flattened tenderloin.
- Spread the ground pork over the entire surface of the tenderloin.
- Season the ground pork with salt, pepper, sage and fennel seeds.
- Roll the tenderloin until it once again resembles its original shape.
- Wrap the tenderloin in bacon to cover the entire surface of the roast. Secure the rolled roast with skewers or tooth picks if necessary.
- Now, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the olive oil and butter.
- Sauté the roast on all sides until the bacon is browned and crispy.
- Remove from the skillet and place in a baking dish.
- Roast the stuffed tenderloin in the oven for another 15-25 minutes to the desired doneness, or when it reaches about 145-155º in the center.
- Take out of the oven and let rest for about 10 minutes before serving. Sauté any vegetable you have laying around in the fat from the pan that you browned the roast in.
- After the roast has rested slice it in about 1-1 ½ in. pieces and serve with the sautéed vegetables.